- Entwaldungsfreie Lieferketten
Partnerships to halt deforestation – for the benefit of climate, biodiversity, agriculture and people
2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference COP26 Side-Event | 9th November 2021 | 14:00 – 15:00 GMT
The preservation of forests is crucial to mitigate climate change, minimise biodiversity loss, ensure the future of agriculture and maintain the livelihood of indigenous peoples and local communities.
The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the Directorate General International Partnerships (DG INTPA) of the European Commission would like to invite you to a COP26 side-event linking debates around climate mitigation, forest preservation and commodity-driven deforestation.
Keynotes from DG INTPA and BMZ will present new initiatives to support partner countries with halting deforestation – also given forthcoming EU legislation on deforestation and forest degradation.
The keynotes will be followed by a panel discussion convening perspectives of partner countries, civil society and science.
Tuesday, 9th November 2021
14:00 – 15:00 GMT
German Pavilion | Blue Zone | COP26 Glasgow
The event will be opened by keynotes from:
- Jutta Urpilainen, Commissioner for International Partnerships, European Commission
- Dr. Maria Flachsbarth, Parliamentary State Secretary, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany
Accompanied by a video message from MEP Delara Burkhardt
Followed by a panel discussion with:
- Karina Barrera, Undersecretary of Climate Change, Ministry of Environment, Water, and Ecological Transition of Ecuador (MAATE)
- Nicole Polsterer, Campaigner, NGO Fern, Brussels
- André Guimarães, Executive Director, Amazon Environmental Research Institute (IPAM)
Please register here for virtual participation:
With the registration, all livestreams from the German Pavilion can be watched online.